Re: oracle 10g installation - access not permitted?

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 06:41:17 -0700

On Jun 4, 3:17 pm, "Charles T. Smith" <cts.priv..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 04:14:08 -0700, sybrandb wrote:
> > On Jun 4, 11:36 am, "Charles T. Smith" <cts.priv..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 21:00:26 +0200, Frank van Bortel wrote:

> > Most likely you just either didn't read the installation instructions at
> > all and/or didn't follow them up to the letter.
>
> Yes, that's most likely. The question is, which installation
> instructions? As I switched back and forth between the 4 different
> ones I downloaded from the webpage (two different ones each for normal
> and quick installs) - trying to find the various instructions that best
> fit my situation, it might very well be that I overlooked something.
>
> I was hoping somebody would be able to recognize quickly what it was...
>
> > ... Normal server
> > installations don't need an extra client. PERIOD
> >... On normal server
> > installations anyone can connect to Oracle, provided a) the setuid bit
> > of several executables has been set
>
> The setuid bit doesn't help if the directory in which sqlplus resides is
> not accessible.
>
> > b) $ORACLE_HOME/bin is in your $PATH
>
> I can't even use an absolute pathname.
>
> > c) you have access to a tnsnames.ora
>
> yes.
>
> So, there's a bug in this assertion, at any rate ... ;)- Hide quoted text -

No.
You just didn't follow the installation instructions, or you followed your own interpretation of the installation instructions or you read secondary documents written by people who have a screwed install. Just follow the documentation to the letter, make sure everything is in the dba group (oinstall is just plain wrong), and fix protections.

[Quoted] And please stop whining and complaining about things you don't like and/or willfully misinterpret.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

Fact: 99.9 percent of all questions on any Oracle forum have already
been asked and answered over and over again. This is because most
posters think they are the first to run into a problem and
consequently don't search Google.
They are wrong: they are not unique, they are with *too many*