Re: DBDesigner and SQL*Plus: Connection Trouble

From: HugeBob <rnurse_at_gmail.com>
Date: 7 May 2007 08:10:59 -0700

On May 4, 5:26 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On 4 May 2007 09:17:15 -0700, HugeBob <rnu..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >I placed the following in
> >SQLNET.ORA for tracing:
>
> >NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH=(HOSTNAME)
> >NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN=my.domain.somewhere
> >SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NTS)
> >LOG_DIRECTORY_CLIENT=C:\ORACLE92\NETWORK\LOG
> >LOG_FILE_CLIENT=sqlnetClient.log
> >TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT
> >TRACE_FILE_CLIENT
> >TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT=admin
> >TRACE_UNIQUE_CLIENT=true
>
> >Is tracing/logging automatic once it's enabled in the SQLNET.ORA file
> >or is some other client used? I was thinking that when tracing was
> >enabled that results would be automatically placed in the target file.
>
> 1 NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH=(HOSTNAME)
> This option has been specifically set up by Oracle to make sure people
> didn't have to set up a tnsnames.ora. Basically, it allows only one
> database.
> Anyway: your tnsnames.ora will be IGNORED, as you didn't include
> ,TNSNAMES in NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH
> 2 TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT
> The syntax is TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT=<directory>.
> There is no default.
> 3 TRACE_FILE_CLIENT
> The syntax is TRACE_FILE_CLIENT=<filename>.
> There is no default
> 4 I would rephrase the last sentence as
> 'I was thinking you guys would resolve all my problems, as I am not a
> guru, so I can't be bothered reading the manuals'
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Sybrand,

As grateful as I am for your assistance, I think I could have done without the sarcastic lambasting. After all, we're not all senior Oracle DBA's out here. For manuals to be of any worth, IMO, one has to have some comfort level with the topic at hand. If I have information that someone needs, I merely pass it on. No sarcasm, no insult, no belittlement? If this is what gives you some sort of ego boost, then, you have my sympathy. If you're bored, may I suggest a hobby, grad school, a significant other and/or parenthood? LOL, you won't be bored long with the last two. Again, thanks for the info. I'm able to connect via SQL*Plus and DB designer now. And I'll pass on what I've learned. That is, been so graciously given. Received on Mon May 07 2007 - 17:10:59 CEST

Original text of this message