Re: DBDesigner and SQL*Plus: Connection Trouble

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 23:26:32 +0200

On 4 May 2007 09:17:15 -0700, HugeBob <rnurse_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>I placed the following in
>SQLNET.ORA for tracing:
>
>NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH=(HOSTNAME)
>NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN=my.domain.somewhere
>SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NTS)
>LOG_DIRECTORY_CLIENT=C:\ORACLE92\NETWORK\LOG
>LOG_FILE_CLIENT=sqlnetClient.log
>TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT
>TRACE_FILE_CLIENT
>TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT=admin
>TRACE_UNIQUE_CLIENT=true
>
>Is tracing/logging automatic once it's enabled in the SQLNET.ORA file
>or is some other client used? I was thinking that when tracing was
>enabled that results would be automatically placed in the target file.

 1 NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH=(HOSTNAME)
This option has been specifically set up by Oracle to make sure people didn't have to set up a tnsnames.ora. Basically, it allows only one database.
Anyway: your tnsnames.ora will be IGNORED, as you didn't include ,TNSNAMES in NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH
2 TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT
The syntax is TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT=<directory>. There is no default.
3 TRACE_FILE_CLIENT
The syntax is TRACE_FILE_CLIENT=<filename>. There is no default
4 I would rephrase the last sentence as
'I was thinking you guys would resolve all my problems, as I am not a guru, so I can't be bothered reading the manuals'

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA