Re: DBDesigner and SQL*Plus: Connection Trouble

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 07:18:38 +0200

On 27 Apr 2007 14:34:31 -0700, HugeBob <rnurse_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>On Apr 27, 3:34 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
>>
>> multiple tnsnames.ora's on the server, TNS_ADMIN not being set.
>> Dealt with in this forum over and over and over again.
>>
>> --
>> Sybrand Bakker
>> Senior Oracle DBA
>
>Hi Sybrand,
>
>Thanks for responding. I found more than one tnsnames.ora files on
>the server:
>
>%ORACLE_HOME%\hs\admin\tnsnames.ora.sample (does this one matter?)
>%ORACLE_HOME%\admin\tnsnames.ora
>%ORACLE_HOME%\admin\sample\tnsnames.ora
>
>Now, on my client, I found several tnsnames*.bak files along with:
>C:\oracle\network\admin\sample\tnsnames.ora (does this one matter?)
>C:\oracle\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
>In the registry on my client, I found several branches off Oracle
>\ALL_HOMES: ID0, ID1 and ID2. ID0\PATH contains S:\...\oracle\network
>\admin. I checked that folder and there is a TNSNAMES.ORA file there.
>Could this be the problem?
>
>Would removing/renaming all but D:\oracle\ora92\admin\tnsnames.ora on
>the server and C:\oracle\network\admin\tnsnames.ora on my client
>help? Also, what does TNS_ADMIN do and what should it be set to?

OK, yet again.

You have multiple homes.
By default each product will use the tnsnames.ora in %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin.
So
1 you are using at least 2 different tnsnames.ora's 2 the files in directories named 'sample' are just that and won't be used
3 you either need to synchronize the tnsnames.ora's manually OR set TNS_ADMIN. Oracle looks in the directory pointed to by TNS_ADMIN, followed by %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin and the default directory.

And finally, yes, as this is all documented,you belong to the 99.9 percent of posters here, that
a) don't search Google
b) don't read the documentation. Obviously, the question 'what's TNS_ADMIN?' can be answered by the documentation.

This is sooooo boring.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA