Re: Instance installer

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 21:39:28 +0200

I can only agree, that there can not be a single solution, the number of   different databases can not be ever estimated - you can have small databases consisting of 10 tables, or huge consisting of thousands, what  sense can be to write insert scripts for table of 600 Gb, or table with blobs etc.
For purposes of obtaining ddl scripts there are many solutions as well - if you prefer comfort, you can use Oracle Designer, it generates scripts for pretty grouped for different kinds of objects , but can't manage a lot of new features.
If you have used them, i would recommend exp ( as it generates almost 100% correct ddl, i have seen really a very few failures ) at the first place and as DA Morgan pointed out - DBMS_METADATA ( to obtain sql from the dump file you can use impshow.sql script , Metalink Note:131437.1 or DDL Wizard from http://www.databee.com/dt_home.htm, of course a little bit more buggy than impshow.sql for my taste ). There are many 3rd party gui on the market , most of them have such a capability ( pl sql developer, tora, sql navigator, keep tool ), all of them generate ( again , its only my expirience ) less accurately code than the oracle native tools.
As the last idea, this approach may be good for initial setup of your product, but it should not be used for recreation of db in case of failure, the only adequate method to do it - implement proper backup/recovery strategy.

Best regards

Maxim