Re: Connection between Acess and Oracle

From: Michael Squires <mikes_at_cs.indiana.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:15:47 +0000 (UTC)

[Quoted] I've been trying to use ODBC to connect Access (2000 and later) to a 10g RAC; so far the only 10g network stack that has worked reliably has been the Instant Client. None of the 10g standard clients, including .2 with the .3 patchset, has worked.

(The IC I've used has been the .3 version from Oracle's OTN web site)

The 9i client worked fine, but there are apparently issues with database corruption caused by using a 9i client with at least a v .2 10g RAC server, so I've been told (ordered?) to not do that any more.

Failure is defined as being able to connect to a table in Access but having all the cells filled wiht "#DELETED", which is apparently a problem with converting Oracle variable types to Access types, according to an old MS KB entry describing a similar problem with Access 97 and Oracle 8i.

Mike Squires

--

Mike Squires (mikes at cs.indiana.edu)     317 233 9456 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes at siralan.org             546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408