Re: Connection between Acess and Oracle

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:12:25 -0700

Michael Squires wrote:
> I've been trying to use ODBC to connect Access (2000 and later) to a 10g
> RAC; so far the only 10g network stack that has worked reliably has been
> the Instant Client. None of the 10g standard clients, including .2 with
> the .3 patchset, has worked.
>
> (The IC I've used has been the .3 version from Oracle's OTN web site)
>
> The 9i client worked fine, but there are apparently issues with database
> corruption caused by using a 9i client with at least a v .2 10g RAC server,
> so I've been told (ordered?) to not do that any more.
>
> Failure is defined as being able to connect to a table in Access but having
> all the cells filled wiht "#DELETED", which is apparently a problem with
> converting Oracle variable types to Access types, according to an old MS
> KB entry describing a similar problem with Access 97 and Oracle 8i.
>
> Mike Squires

RAC is irrelevant to the conversation though the problem may well be in your TNSNAMES.ORA confusing what is a database (you never connect to a database) and what is an instance (you always connect to an instance).

Perhaps your ODBC driver is not Oracle's and is too stupid to know the difference.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington