Re: Realtime SQL Trace like MS SQL Server

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 06:30:57 -0000

[Quoted] "Thomas Hase" <tohas_at_freenet.de> wrote in message news:423f80a0.84514500_at_news.t-online.de...
> thanks for the link, I know this tool, but I would like to see the
> sql-cmd's in realtime. In past, I used tkprof on instance level.
> But it isn't realtime.

realtime monitoring can be achieved through the v$sql or v$sqlarea views. [Quoted] Mark Powell posted a good explanation of exactly this to a remarkably [Quoted] similar question on c.d.o.server in the last couple of days. However, doing [Quoted] so regularly is a bad idea on a system that is doing any real work. I'm interested in what the business need is that you are attempting to address by monitoring all SQL in realtime, it would seem likely that there are other ways of doing it.

[Quoted] As an aside the sql profiler tool that you referred to originally also puts a significant strain on an MSSQL system, if you are doing that regularly it might be better to look at server side tracing.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA