Re: Realtime SQL Trace like MS SQL Server

From: Thomas Hase <tohas_at_freenet.de>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:53:51 GMT

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 06:30:57 -0000, "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>"Thomas Hase" <tohas_at_freenet.de> wrote in message
>> thanks for the link, I know this tool, but I would like to see the
>> sql-cmd's in realtime. In past, I used tkprof on instance level.
>> But it isn't realtime.
>
>realtime monitoring can be achieved through the v$sql or v$sqlarea views.

I will check this

>Mark Powell posted a good explanation of exactly this to a remarkably
>similar question on c.d.o.server in the last couple of days.

[Quoted] Is there a link to this topic?

>However, doing
>so regularly is a bad idea on a system

[Quoted] I want to use this feature in a test environment  (show my first post)
because realtime tracing increase the performance in all dbms.

>that is doing any real work. I'm
>interested in what the business need is that you are attempting to address
>by monitoring all SQL in realtime, it would seem likely that there are other
>ways of doing it.

[Quoted] I have to port an access2k-mssql2k (ODBC) app to access2k-ora9i (ODBC).
The app is not 100% client server. There are some large browsingforms. If I open an nativ access table with 100.000DS MSSQL-ODBC is 10 time faster as ora (the ms driver creates automaticly stored procs for msssql). Its a known problem, that oracle odbc drivers are slow.

I want to see the start und stop time of sql execution. Currently I use session trace with tkprof, but it is circuitous and I cant see start and stop time.

>As an aside the sql profiler tool that you referred to originally also puts
>a significant strain on an MSSQL system, if you are doing that regularly it
>might be better to look at server side tracing.

Thanks for this informations Received on Mon Mar 21 2005 - 09:53:51 CET

Original text of this message