Re: sql psp portal - help

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:29:27 -0800

cynthih_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I was recently asked to resurrect an Oracle project shelved
> several years ago. I know almost nothing about Oracle. So,
> I barely know where to start.
>
> There is a windows application that connects to an Oracle server
> via the Internet, and I was told that the "oracle code was developed
> against Oracle 8 and makes use of their web portal stuff" and it uses
> PL/SQL.
>
> The oracle code consists of a bunch of .sql and .psp files. I was
> told that if I loaded the oracle code into oracle, it should work.
>
> I started by downloading Oracle9i Database and installing it on
> XP Pro. But, now I think I need the Application Server.
>
> Do I need the Application Server?
> Do I need the Database?
> How do I get the code into Oracle?
> Will there be a problem with using code for Oracle 8 with a newer
> version?
>
> Would there be any difference/problem using Linux or Solaris
> instead of XP Pro if the code was originally developed under Windows?
>
> Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

You don't NEED the app server based on my impression of your posting but your post is so completely devoid of critical information it is truly impossible to tell you what you do need.

[Quoted] One could start with Oracle 8 and ask you to translate that into an actual version number and continue from there.

My guess is that you are going to need a very senior consultant to be successful. If management can afford it contact me off-line and I will try to refer you to someone nearby.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington