Re: dbms_random

From: Michel Cadot <micadot{at}altern{dot}org>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 18:38:22 +0100

"Sheela" <> a écrit dans le message de
| I have a question regarding dbms_random pkg.
| One jsp page needs to pull a random password from a table.
| So, first I created a table and inserted 100 passwords and used this
| sql to display the random password.
| SELECT password FROM
| ( SELECT password from px_password_selfreg ORDER BY
| Is this enough or do I need to initialize and terminate the pkg before
| and after the use?
| Thank you in advance,
| sheen

From doc (Supplied PL/SQL Packages and Types Reference): <quote>
DBMS_RANDOM must be initialized before calling the random number generator. The generator produces 8-digit integers. If the initialization subprogram is not called, then the package raises an exception.

But if you look inside package specification, you'll see: <quote>

  • By default, the package is initialized with the current user
  • name, current time down to the second, and the current session. </quote>

Michel Cadot Received on Fri Feb 04 2005 - 18:38:22 CET

Original text of this message