Re: Query Builder Syntax Help Needed

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 09:51:55 -0800

SteveOz wrote:

> Hi from a newbie,
> I hope I'm in the right place. I build queries in Query Builder and, in
> general, have no resources to compare my syntax and would love to find a
> resource (maybe with actual examples).
> Specifically, I am trying to find a way to search a field (char (500) or
> something) for a string that arrives by prompt. I've defined a query
> parameter that accepts a keyword for searching but can't get the syntax
> straight. This is where I am:
> db.application.project_title LIKE :keyword
> I don't know what function to use or how to incorporate the wildcard '%' on
> either end. Can you help?
> :) Steve

Well my first suggestion would be to get out of Query Builder so that you really have a learning experience. My second would be that a CHAR(500) is a horrible idea and should be remodeled as a VARCHAR2. That said ... what you want is to learn to use the SUBSTR and INSTR built-in functions. Demos of them are available by going to
click on Morgan's Library
click on SUBSTR or INSTR (as both are on the same web page)

Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington
(replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)