Re: HTML DB

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 11:36:22 +0100

Lee wrote:
> I suppose this is the right place to bring up HTML DB (its a "tool", no? )
>
> Has anybody started using it?
> Whats the recommended way to break the ice learning how to build
> applications with it.? I'm pretty comfortable with
> pl/sql and I used to use Sql Forms, both the old fashioned character
> mode and the newer GUI tool, so I'm not *totally*
> without clue. Still, I find the interface far from self explanatory.
>
> I see some "how to" documents and some tutorials on the OTN site, but
> some of the "how to"s assume you already know a whole lot about the
> systems mechanics.
>
> I went through one tutorial which didnt really ring the gong...too much
> "Click here, enter that there" with no explanation of why that , why
> then, and whats happening under the covers. As I was going through the
> silly thing I kept thinking ..."If I were building my own application
> without this handy-dandy guide in front of me, I would completely stuck
> at this point. Why the blazes are we clicking here and what the heck is
> it all about"
> I see Oracle Press has a book on offer , but according to Amazon its
> not expected to be available till Nov 05, so dont really expect it till
> 06.
> Anybody have any recomendations as to Tutorials, papers, manuals,
> whatever, that will help me get up to speed?

Forget Forms.

[Quoted] Start learning HTML (you don't say whether you have that skill...). You know PL/SQL; read up on the htp and htf procedures and functions. [Quoted] Read a book about pl/sql and html; Sten Vesterli's 'Oracle 101 Web Applications' is one I like for the PL/SQL stuff and HTML. There are some examples and packages to be downloaded from his site. The book is not for sale anymore, if I'm correctly informed.

[Quoted] [Quoted] Once you get the feel of that, turn to HTMLDB. You'll see it's nothing else than a bunch of packages, like Sten Vesterli's, packed together, with a GUI added.

[Quoted] You'll need your PL/SQl programming skills again :)

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel