Re: Oracle Database Installation Information

From: Oradba Linux <techiey2k3_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 03:12:15 -0500

"Archit" <archit.shivaprakash_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1105255583.870158.87660_at_c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
> I have been tasked with developing an application that would be
> responsible for discovering information about Oracle database
> instance(s) that exist in a given environment. I am talking about an
> app that when launched, would go into some sort of a discover mode (on
> say specific machines based on IP addresses) and pull up information
> about Oracle instances on them.
> I am totally clueless as to how I should be tackling this problem. I
> would greatly appreciate someone pointing me towards an Oracle API
> wgich I can query to get information on an Oracle instance. The
> language I will be using and all the other good stuff is still fluid. I
> am at an analysis stage right now.
> Thanx in advance.
> Best,
> -Archit

You can query dictionary views and get info about oracle databases. But to do that you need to know the instances running on any given server and then logon to the instance. The information you want most likely what oracle version is installed , how many instances running ..so on is outside the database.
ps -ef | grep pmon will list the instances on that server ps -ef|grep tns will list listeners
check /etc/oratab or /var/opt/oracle/oratab and so on .. some clues for you I dont know how much will help you though ... Received on Sun Jan 09 2005 - 09:12:15 CET

Original text of this message