Re: Re : fed up with OTN site: JDeveloper won't download

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 21:20:42 -0800

Rauf Sarwar wrote:
> Neil Zanella wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>Thank you for your feedback. Indeed, when I download the file

> jdev9052.zip
>
>>from Windows XP using Internet Explorer the download works, but from

> Linux
>
>>no matter which browser I use (for instance mozilla or firefox), I

> will get
>
>>a blank HTML page when I click on the zip file and nothing will

> happen.
>
>>Obviously the OTN site must be using some Microsoft specific

> technology
>
>>to initiate the download (which doesn't make sense since the zip file
>>is meant to be downloaded for Linux as well).
>>
>>Anyone know why the download is working under Windows and not under

> Linux.
>
>>(is OTN using some .NET technology not available under Linux or

> something
>
>>similar, anyone have a clue here? I'm curious cause there are a

> number of
>
>>other sites I've found which seem to experience similar

> platform-dependent
>
>>symptoms and I'd really like to know what is causing them).
>>
>>Thanks a lot!!!
>>
>>Neil

> I ran into the same thing couple of years back when trying to download
> Oracle 9i using Linux RH7.3 (Netscape). After some frustrating hours, I
> managed to download the three zip files but all of them were corrupt.
> Did the same download using Win2K and IE afterwards and it was all
> good. Since then, I only use IE for downloads.
>
> Looks like Bill Gates has bunch of gremlins sitting on top of the OTN
> servers :->)
>
> Regards
> /Rauf

I routinely download from OTN using Netscape and Mozilla and only once, in memory, did I have a problem where I had to back due to corruption.

Which is not to say I disagree that there seem to be some Microsoft centric people at Oracle and they need to be cured of the disease.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington