Oracle JDeveloper: documentation link not working

From: Neil Zanella <nzanella_at_cs.mun.ca>
Date: 25 Dec 2004 14:24:01 -0800

Hello,

I am puzzled as to where the best place to put unpacked Java files would be under Linux. Most Linux software gets scattered across directories such as bin,share,sbin,usr,etc... and on Red Hat you can then query the files pertaining to the unpacked files with rpm's -qf machanism. But must Java packages just come in one big zip file, which means you've got to keep changing your environment variables or updating symlinks to some unpacked zip file under /usr/local to do a proper installation it seems.

Anyways, my question is, I just "installed" JDeveloper by unzipping and running:

sh jdev/bin/jdev

I get two screens:

Oracle JDeveloper 10g

The user home located under directory
/home/johndoe/jdevhome/ does not exist.
Would you like to create it now?

                          [ Yes ] [ No ]

-> yes

Migrate User Settings

Would you like to migrate from a previous version of JDeveloper?

                          [ Yes ] [ No ]

-> no

Then when I click on "Getting Started with Oracle JDeveloper" the software throws some exceptions and no web browser application with the given page shows up (although I then found it with google).

Anyone know what the cause of this problem is and how to possibly fix it?

Thanks,

Neil Received on Sat Dec 25 2004 - 23:24:01 CET

Original text of this message