Re: Quick and dirty query tool

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 19:39:46 -0800

WQ wrote:
> Okay, I am sure you well understand the expression "Quick and dirty". Since
> you are asking me to clearly define the dollars, so I will lay it out for
> you. Discover license cost more than $10,000 for an enterprise license. So
> is Cognos and all the big wigs. Yes, we have all legal licenses for Oracle,
> so please don't call the SPA. I guess you are one of those who buys a saw
> for cutting paper, where a scissor will do just fine.
>
> There are so many nifty tools out there, and beat big boys not only in
> pricing, but functionality as well.
> Try ALL Round Automation's PL/SQL Developer, provides a much better value
> over all, when compared to, say Toad.
>
> Like you, in the real world, we don't live on grants, you know.

I don't live on grants either. Have never solicited one and never received one.

I wasn't implying you had a license issue but rather that givent the cost of a license the cost of a report writer is pretty small: Not zero but small.

But I am wondering where you got the $10K price. At http://store.oracle.com they are offering it at $1K for a named user perpetual license. How many developers do you have?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington