DDL comparison, deployment and version management

From: stevie <steviehaston_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 5 Oct 2004 03:44:58 -0700

Hi
We are attempting to manage changes to schemas on a variety of different instances of Oracle by enforcing a procedure where each change is scripted by a single individual and managed by our source control system. These scripts are then manually executed in the correct order during a release. This works OK but is becoming unwieldy when we have ever more instances to manage, especially when branching application code means branching database structure. I was wondering if there are alternative ways of handling this and/or best practices that others have experience of. I presume there are DDL (and data) comparison tools that can be used which can simplify the complexitiy of this process - does anyone have good/bad experiences with these tools?
Thanks for your input
Stevie Received on Tue Oct 05 2004 - 05:44:58 CDT