DBMS_OUTPUT

From: David_T MO <david.thomas_at_cityutilities.net>
Date: 8 Sep 2004 08:34:28 -0700

I'm a long time SQL user but an Oracle newbie and have inherited an Oracle database. I'm trying to get DBMS_OUTPUT going but am hitting a brick wall. I can describe the package and execute the 'set serveroutput on' command, but anytime I attempt to use any procedure within the package I get an 'unknown command' error (see below). Doesn't matter what user_id I use. I've rerun the dbmsotpt.sql as SYS successfully but no joy on using the procedures.

Any suggestions on how to get DBMS_OUTPUT working?

---

limsd>describe dbms_output;
PROCEDURE DISABLE
PROCEDURE ENABLE
 Argument Name                  Type                    In/Out
Default?
 ------------------------------ ----------------------- ------

--------
BUFFER_SIZE NUMBER(38) IN DEFAULT PROCEDURE GET_LINE Argument Name Type In/Out Default? ------------------------------ ----------------------- ------
--------
LINE VARCHAR2 OUT STATUS NUMBER(38) OUT PROCEDURE GET_LINES Argument Name Type In/Out Default? ------------------------------ ----------------------- ------
--------
LINES TABLE OF VARCHAR2(255) OUT NUMLINES NUMBER(38) IN/OUT PROCEDURE NEW_LINE PROCEDURE PUT Argument Name Type In/Out Default? ------------------------------ ----------------------- ------
--------
A VARCHAR2 IN PROCEDURE PUT Argument Name Type In/Out Default? ------------------------------ ----------------------- ------
--------
A NUMBER IN PROCEDURE PUT_LINE Argument Name Type In/Out Default? ------------------------------ ----------------------- ------
--------
A VARCHAR2 IN PROCEDURE PUT_LINE Argument Name Type In/Out Default? ------------------------------ ----------------------- ------
--------
A NUMBER IN limsd>SET SERVEROUTPUT ON; limsd>DBMS_OUTPUT.ENABLE; SP2-0734: unknown command beginning "DBMS_OUTPU..." - rest of line ignored.