Re: exp dmp converter to text file

From: stic <stefantura_at_klub.chip.pl>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:57:55 +0200

Uzytkownik "Ed prochak" <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com> napisal w wiadomosci news:4b5394b2.0407080922.4f185a0b_at_posting.google.com... > "stic" <stefantura_at_klub.chip.pl> wrote in message news:<ccioa4$u83$1_at_news.dialog.net.pl>...
> > Uzytkownik "Ed prochak" <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com> napisal w
wiadomosci
> > > "stic" <stefantura_at_klub.chip.pl> wrote in message
> > so
> > [..]
> > > 2) get a developer copy of ORACLE, install it, import the dump, then
> > > either
> > > dump the data as text files (SPOOL, SELECT *) and load PostgreSQL
> > > OR
> > > transfer from ORACLE to PostgreSQL using something like an ODBC based
> > > tool or PERL DBI.
> > > Why bother with the hassle of reading a proprietary format? Use the
> > > right tool. To real an ORACLE dump it seems to me, the right tool is
> > > ORACLE.
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > > ed
> > > That would be easier than trying to fiddle with pulling data directly
> > > out of the dump file. As the nxtract tool shows, it can be done
> > Hi,

> > What a nice answer, that is what I'm doing right now.. ;-) Couse I don't
> > find any other solution...
> > but I can't do it at business proces, where some licences are needed to
> > process this data...
>
> My impression was this was a one-time conversion. If this is going to
> be an ongoing data feed from ORACLE to PostgreSQL, maybe you should
> renegotiate the interface (have them send flat files instead of an
> oracle dump). What business process requires using the ORACLE dump
> format to feed a non-ORACLE DBMS?

If I only could :(
There are some situaltion when you just couldn't put your penny to the solution..
If it would depend from me I would rather go for Microsoft SQL no both platform - it's maybe little toy, but nice one ;-)

> > I thought about Oracle Lite, but the exp / imp options doesn't seems to
work
> > (or I did something wrong, and only on my linux instance these tools
aren't
> > working ?)

> Isn't ORACLE Lite obsolete?

Yes it is... I recognize this after 5 hour installation and a day of hard work to make it working..
As a M$ developer, now I understood why Oracle folks earn x 4 more that me ;-)

> What version of ORACLE did the export come from? (conflict in versions > between the ORACLE dump system and Lite?)

No, the Lite seems to don't have imp/exp tools just like that ... Somebody correct me if I'm wrong

> If there is a business need for using the dump file format, then there
> may be a case made to use ORACLE instead of PostgreSQL. Until you
> contact ORACLE and get a price, you won't know how little that option
> might cost. Seems like you keep looking for hack solutions instead of
> engineered solutions.

> My company was looking into replacing ORACLE on some systems with
> MySQL. After checking the upgrade costs for another project, we found
> the cost was about half the expected cost. MySQL is currently just
> sitting there, a development, learning, and test tool. All production > DB work is in ORACLE.

I'm only contract to this job... And this have to be done in this configuration :(

> So next time, tell us the full story of what you are trying to do and
> why. Then we might have a better chance of answering your question on
> the first try. Tool versions would help too.

Yeap, that is a solution to all communication problems ... But you know, when you dig something really deep and need a solution there your world of problem isn't so readable to others...

--
best regards
stic