Re: exp dmp converter to text file

From: stic <stefantura_at_klub.chip.pl>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 08:06:18 +0200

[Quoted] [Quoted] Uzytkownik "Ed prochak" <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com> napisal w wiadomosci [Quoted] news:4b5394b2.0407010832.56802f01_at_posting.google.com...
> > Hi,
> > I need to convert Oracle database from exp file to PostgreSQL database,
so
> > what I do is to:
> > 1) convert this dmp file to txt
> > 2) import this file to PostgreSQL
[..]
> > 2) Or there is direct way to import Oracle file to PostgreSQL ?
> 2) get a developer copy of ORACLE, install it, import the dump, then
> either
> dump the data as text files (SPOOL, SELECT *) and load PostgreSQL
> OR
> transfer from ORACLE to PostgreSQL using something like an ODBC based
> tool or PERL DBI.
> Why bother with the hassle of reading a proprietary format? Use the
> right tool. To real an ORACLE dump it seems to me, the right tool is
> ORACLE.
>
> HTH,
> ed
>
> That would be easier than trying to fiddle with pulling data directly
> out of the dump file. As the nxtract tool shows, it can be done

Hi,

[Quoted] What a nice answer, that is what I'm doing right now.. ;-) Couse I don't find any other solution...
 but I can't do it at business proces, where some licences are needed to process this data...
[Quoted] [Quoted] I thought about Oracle Lite, but the exp / imp options doesn't seems to work [Quoted] (or I did something wrong, and only on my linux instance these tools aren't working ?)

--
best regards
stic