Re: Data extraction tools - for ETL

From: Petr Schmidt <pschmidt_at_cardsys.com>
Date: 15 Mar 2004 15:11:59 -0800

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1078724235.213426_at_yasure>...
> so- ju wrote:
>
> > Data extraction tools - for ETL .
> >
> > We are currently in process of migrating from DB2 to Oracle 9i /10G
> > and for the DB2 landscape we used a data extraction tool BMC
> > Logmaster.
> >
> > we have have informed that BMC do not have a version of this tool for
> > Oracle and are currently looking for alternatives that will allow us
> > to extract data from a large OLTP database , with out an impediments
> > on performance .
> > "Oracle warehouse builder" has been suggested to us - but we have
> > found that is has a high usage of resources and may impede performance
> > - , does anyone have any feed back as to possible solutions or other
> > tools that may be used .
>
> What are the transformations required that require any tool at all?

OWB is actually a very efficient high performance ETL tool since it generates PL/SQL code, which runs on the Oracle Server. Therefore all Oracle database tuning and performance facilities are available to you. The generated code can be influenced via SQL hints plus there are number of tricks to apply when creating OWB mappings in order to end up generating efficient code. From a performance perspective it is a very good tool.

Petr Received on Tue Mar 16 2004 - 00:11:59 CET

Original text of this message