Re: "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name" with Oracle Data Provider for .NET

From: jharri <jharri.10jkub_at_mail.mcse.ms>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 08:35:12 -0600

[Quoted] I have the exact same scenario, except that I am calling Oracle from a web service. When i test the connection from my local machine it works fine in a .Net windows application. When i test the connection from the server using VBScript or VB6 executable, it works fine. But from the .Net web service, it keeps giving ORA-12154. I have tried Oracle .Net Managed Provider from Microsoft, and OleDB, and both return the same error. The web service is in a folder with no parenthesis. And it doesn't work even compiled. So the experiences listed above do not apply in my case. Ideas welcome.

Jeff wrote:
> *I have quite a lot of difficulty with this myself, but only with the
> IDE--
> I usually have to reconfig the data adapter (without any real
> changes) to get
> connections to start working and then they're usually fine until I
> restart the
> IDE. My apps, however, never have a problem making the connection.
>
> In article <0bnpvvcuvmifkjlcbo2v6sfo18417rv3ic_at_4ax.com>, Chris
> Simmons
> <newsgroup.replies_at_netchris.com> wrote:
> >On 5 Jan 2004 14:55:40 -0800, newsgroup.replies_at_netchris.com
> (Chris)
> >wrote:
> >

> >OK, more info. The path where my project lies (and therefore the
> >bin\Debug directory is within a directory with parentheses in the
> name
> >(e.g. "C:\My Documents\VS.NET Projects
> >(1.1)\Something\Here\bin\Debug"). Is this documented? It appears
> >that ODP.NET will not resolve a service name in this directory.
> Place
> >the test .exe in "C:\My Documents\VS.NET
> >Projects\Something\Here\bin\Debug" (no parens) and the connection
> goes
> >fine.
> > *

jharri