Re: choices regarding where to place code - in the database or middletier

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:03:39 +1100

[Quoted] "Joe Weinstein" <joeNOSPAM_at_bea.com> wrote in message news:40100718.3070108_at_bea.com...

> I wish you well, but this seems so parochial as to be comical!
> I suspect that you don't *want* to know about the success and
> need for middleware, as if it threatened the Papacy of DBAs.
> I'll bet the chance you'll visit the BEA site and examine the
> immense customer list of global company success stories is nill,
> but as others might, here's a link:
>
> http://www.bea.com/framework.jsp?CNT=index.htm&FP=/content/customers

[Quoted] Joe, the notion that DBA's are somehow "popes" is today old hat. It's an old TCO argument from the Microslop mob. Proven false ages ago. DBA's nowadays are simply trained monkeys nursing third party apps. And little else. And have been so for years.

[Quoted] Customer success stories in web sites? Come on! Do you expect that to impress someone? A little old lady maybe?

[Quoted] The question is not if BEA has a good middleware engine. There is no doubt in my mind it does. Probably the best.

[Quoted] [Quoted] The question is how much of and what kind of code should be in that middle tier. Which has got nothing to do with your experience at Sybase/BEA, mine at IBM/Univac/Prime/Oracle/world or the price of fish in fact. Or rather: it has everything to do with it. It's based on experience with prior environments and technology that we can hope to make proper decisions regarding which is the best way to go.

[Quoted] So, can we go back to defining what should go where? That is should go somewhere is a given.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto