Re: choices regarding where to place code - in the database or middle tier

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 06:32:16 GMT

[Quoted] "Joe" <joelax_at_dbdirections.com> wrote in message news:Y7IOb.20178$ko5.19870_at_nwrddc01.gnilink.net...
> Hi -
>
> Over the last several versions of Oracle, developers have been provided
with
> a pretty revolutionary idea for a database product - namely the ability to
> write code that used to belong in the middle tier and store it in the
> database. I'm referring here to the ability to write stored procedures in
> Java.
>
> Now of course, Microsoft with their SQL Server product is doing the same
> thing. The next version of SQL Server will allow programmers to write
> stored procedures in any of the .NET languages.
>
> I'm interested in looking at the increased choices developers now have
> because of these new features in more depth ,developing some best
practices
> on the subject, and possibly publishing an article on the topic.
>
> I personally am more experienced with SQL Server than with Oracle. I am
> therefore looking for someone who has been involved with making these
> choices in the Oracle environment who would like to collaborate with me on
> the subject.
>
> If you are interested, please contact me at joelax_at_dbdirections.com
>
> Thank you
>
> Joe Lax

Joe,
I want to make a subtle distinction. Just about any database can store code [Quoted] in a the database. (binary object) That said I think you mean more that complex business logic can be stored and run in the database or server end [Quoted] (eg in Oracle pl/sql or Java). Having the business logic (not the GUI logic) in the database allows one to switch GUIs or have multiple systems [Quoted] interact with the backend and consistant business rules are followed. Having it in the middle tier means that every other system has to go through [Quoted] that middle tier. Which means that other groups will go right to the database and not through the middle tier.(time constraints, must do it now, [Quoted] can't wait to use middle tier, middle tier written in a language we don't [Quoted] like or don't know....)

Siebel, Peoplesoft et al hire programmers and not really dbas. Programmers [Quoted] drive the projects and dbas are relagated to a lower importance. Thus these [Quoted] products don't use Referential integrity, stored procedures etc. For an example, in Siebel you "have to define all database objects through their [Quoted] tool even indexes". Unfortunately, that means you can't create a Function [Quoted] based index or an index where one of the elements of the key is descending [Quoted] instead of the default ascending. Dumb, just dumb.

Jim Received on Tue Jan 20 2004 - 07:32:16 CET

Original text of this message