Re: Permission denied executing sqlplus on Windows

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 03:35:30 GMT

Rick Denoire wrote:

> Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote:
>
> >I just created a test user on my Windows 2000 Professional laptop. User
> >TEST is defined as a "restricted" user. Subsequently I access Oracle
> >database on the same machine from that user with no problem.
>
> Thanks that you took the time!
> Back to the question: Did you create TEST after installing the DB?

Yes. Unfortunately I do not have any 'regular' users that were created before the database.

> >However, I DO get "permission denied" when I try to start/stop database
> >service or listnener from the test user. This is, of course, as it
> >should be.
>
> Right.
>
> >Other than a hooped install or not having the service & listener running
> >automatically using the installer's userid, the only thing I can think
> >of is you are using Windows 2000 Workstation rather than Professional or
> >Server. (In that case, you should expect to encounter difficulties, as
> >Oracle explicitly did not certify that one.)
>
> I will check the installation log tomorrow, it should be there -
> although I am 100% sure that the installation went well - I am using
> it successfully, but only as the administrator.

On my W2K-Pro system, the owner (oracle) is in group ORA_DBA as well as ADMINISTRATOR. Also, I do not have a domain set up.

> It comes to my mind that this kind of problem began after we
> introduced Windows 2000 and deprecated Windows NT. I will check the
> version tomorrow.
>
> A normal user can't even read the $ORACLE_HOME directory (access
> denied).

One additional thought - I notice there is a diffferent version for W2000 vs W2003. I do NOT know whether that is significant, but I need to ask ... Any chance you installed the W2003?

Good luck.
/Hans Received on Mon Jan 05 2004 - 04:35:30 CET

Original text of this message