Re: Oracle reports re-engineering

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:46:54 +0100

> > "KS" <sekark_at_hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > We are trying to take inventory of all the reports used in the
> > > department. Part of the inventory we have to capture all the tables ,
> > > columns , where class , functions, procedures etc., used in the
> > > reports. We are planning to load the reports into oracle designer and
> > > query the in formations from designer tables.
> > >
> > > Is this is the correct way to do this ? Is there a tool that can
> > > extract the above information from oracle report?.
> > >
> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > You would need the *.rdf files - if You only have the *.rep,
> > You are lost ... same is valid for *.fmb for Forms.
> >
> > A tool I recently checked out was the Application Mining Suite from
CAST.
> > Goto www.castsoftware.com and You can download a 30days trial version.
> >
> > AFAIK this tool is the only one applicable to do some RE on Forms an
> > Reports.
> > What I saw of it was quite good: total and quick analysis of all
> > dependencies,
> > a "map" of dependencies inside the Forms and so forth - would not be
> > feasable
> > if done by hand - that would take literally 1000 times longer.
> >
> > P.S.: I wanted to have it, but my boss said : no :(
> >
> > hth, Jan
>

> Thanks Jan,
>
> I looked at their site they haven't mentioned about oracle reports (I
> do have all the rdf files). Did you tried with reports ? is it
> possible to retrieve all the information ( table name, where clause
> etc.,).
>
> I will download tomorrow and give it a try .
>
> Thanks again.
> KS

[Quoted] [Quoted] Sorry, I only tested *.fmb, no *.rdf. But i am almost sure that they can be analyzed, too,
[Quoted] if I remember correct. I was just limited to my 30days period, for my personal curiosity.
[Quoted] As Forms are much more complex than reports, I had concentrated on those.

[Quoted] I do not work for the company, but I would really recommend the tool. [Quoted] If You want some help while You try, drop me some lines offline.

Any other comments from others users here ? I would be interested 8)

greetings, Jan Received on Wed Nov 26 2003 - 08:46:54 CET

Original text of this message