Re: Oracle reports re-engineering

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:41:07 +0100

[Quoted] [Quoted] "KS" <sekark_at_hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3dadb5b8.0311241823.4a437653_at_posting.google.com...
> We are trying to take inventory of all the reports used in the
> department. Part of the inventory we have to capture all the tables ,
> columns , where class , functions, procedures etc., used in the
> reports. We are planning to load the reports into oracle designer and
> query the in formations from designer tables.
>
> Is this is the correct way to do this ? Is there a tool that can
> extract the above information from oracle report?.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Hi.

You would need the *.rdf files - if You only have the *.rep, You are lost ... same is valid for *.fmb for Forms.

A tool I recently checked out was the Application Mining Suite from CAST. [Quoted] Goto www.castsoftware.com and You can download a 30days trial version.

AFAIK this tool is the only one applicable to do some RE on Forms an Reports.
What I saw of it was quite good: total and quick analysis of all dependencies,
a "map" of dependencies inside the Forms and so forth - would not be feasable
if done by hand - that would take literally 1000 times longer.

P.S.: I wanted to have it, but my boss said : no :(

hth, Jan Received on Tue Nov 25 2003 - 08:41:07 CET

Original text of this message