Re: Oracle DBA Studio, almost useful

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 22:15:49 -0800

Jarmo wrote:

> I'm using Oracle DBA Studio to create my first table. It has a
> useful-looking table wizard into which I've entered the details of my new
> table. The wizard then proceeds to generate the (alleged) SQL equivalent of
> my request. Problem is that when I click 'Finish' it rejects the
> auto-generated SQL claiming ORA-01741: illegal zero-length identifier.
>
> The auto-generated SQL looks like this:
>
> CREATE TABLE "SYSTEM"."EMPLOYEE"("EMPLOYEEID" NUMBER(4) NOT NULL,
> "NAME" VARCHAR2(128) NOT NULL,
> CONSTRAINT "" PRIMARY KEY("EMPLOYEEID"), UNIQUE("EMPLOYEEID"))

[Quoted] You've made at least two critical mistakes.

First ... no table should ever, for any reason, be built as SYSTEM unless it is built as part of the Oracle installation.

[Quoted] Second ... you named a column 'name' which is a reserved word in Oracle.

[Quoted] See SELECT * FROM v_$reserved_words WHERE LOWER(keyword) LIKE 'n%';

Beyond that you should not be buiding in-line constraints and as far as I am concerned as an educator you shouldn't be touching or building anything in DBA Studio until you can first do it flawlessly in SQL*Plus.

[Quoted] So close DBA Studio. Open SQL*Plus, log on as SYSTEM and create a user account and grant it appropriate privileges. Then log on as that user and start learning Oracle.

And if my above instructions seem a bit cryptic ... that is with intent. The answers to the questions you will have can be found at http://tahiti.oracle.com.

Learn to fish.

--
Daniel Morgan