Re: Oracle DBA Studio, almost useful

From: Jarmo <jarmo_at_jarmo.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 09:12:37 -0500

[Quoted] "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1069481773.698748_at_yasure...

> You've made at least two critical mistakes.
>
> First ... no table should ever, for any reason, be built as SYSTEM
> unless it is built as part of the Oracle installation.

[Quoted] Ah, I'm not sure how I could have known that. I didn't explicitly request SYSTEM (or anything in fact). Thanks.

> Second ... you named a column 'name' which is a reserved word in
> Oracle.

[Quoted] Ouch. Is this because the designers of Oracle and/or SQL did a poor job of separating the column and SQL-syntax namespaces?

> See SELECT * FROM v_$reserved_words WHERE LOWER(keyword) LIKE 'n%';
>
> Beyond that you should not be buiding in-line constraints and as far as
> I am concerned as an educator you shouldn't be touching or building
> anything in DBA Studio until you can first do it flawlessly in SQL*Plus.

[Quoted] From a practical standpoint, this is probably a good suggestion. But from the outside looking in, it's competely backwards, of course -- you ought to use the GUI programs first because they hide the underlying complexity and only once you understand the underpinnings (should you ever actually need to) then you can move to the command line tools. But we're not living in an ideal world, of course.

> So close DBA Studio. Open SQL*Plus, log on as SYSTEM and create a user
> account and grant it appropriate privileges. Then log on as that user
> and start learning Oracle.
>
> And if my above instructions seem a bit cryptic ... that is with intent.
> The answers to the questions you will have can be found at
> http://tahiti.oracle.com.

Thanks for that reference.

> Learn to fish.

[Quoted] [Quoted] Teach the fishing industry to make fishing rods that can actually be used without having to spend two weeks on a fishing DBA course ;-)

> --
> Daniel Morgan
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

Thanks for your patient help. Received on Sat Nov 22 2003 - 15:12:37 CET

Original text of this message