database triggers & form triggers

From: M Hamilton <mhamilton_at_usgs.gov>
Date: 12 Nov 2003 14:32:36 -0800

[Quoted] I am working in Designer 6i creating forms. I have created a before insert db trigger that executes a function which returns a derived name for the column ITEMNAME. The trigger has been placed on the table, ITEMS_GDAPS. It is activated when the user tries to save the data in a form. This trigger and function are working because I have checked the database to see that the derived name has been added. However, I want to see this derived name in the form where the ITEMNAME column is displayed. It is not showing up. ARGUUHH! I can go out of the form and come back in, or do a requery and the derived name data previously created will then show up in the ITEMNAME column. But, how can I get this column to display the trigger's derived name without doing a requery? The following is my trigger code. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER "INSERT_NEW_NAME" BEFORE INSERT ON GDAPS.ITEMS_GDAPS
REFERENCING NEW AS NEW OLD AS OLD
FOR EACH ROW
begin

    if :new.geographic_extent is not null and

:new.spatial_product_group is not null
    then

:new.itemname :=

function_itemname(:new.geographic_extent,:new.spatial_product_group);

    end if;
end;

Thank you,
Margaret Received on Wed Nov 12 2003 - 23:32:36 CET

Original text of this message