Re: [Oracle9iAS] Can't start Reports Server

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 00:52:29 GMT

Fabio Corazza <corazza_at_prosa.com> wrote in news:3E50FD01.6030708_at_prosa.com:

> All we need is to use Reports Server to create reports to print in PDF
> format. An Oracle consultant told us to use Oracle9iAS, that will solve
> all our problems.
>
> Since the Linux Installer (UI) of 9.0.2.1 is simply broken (not only for
> common issues like genclntsh but for the fact that assistants fail a lot
> of steps during final configuration) we came back to Windows 2000 SP2.
>
> This time the installation gone fine, but again we can't start reports
> server. Why? Who knows. I only see that all services for Infrastructure
> instance can be started regularly except OID server. Don't know exactly
> if it has something to do with Reports Server.
>
> Anyway, on the other instance (that one hosting Business Intelligence
> and Forms) the only service I can't start is Report Server (as said) and
> other related tools like Portal and Discoverer.
>
> I've also captured some screenshot from the Oracle Enterprise Manager,
> they may be useful:
>
> http://www.prosa.com/~fabio/9ias/9ias-snap1.png
> http://www.prosa.com/~fabio/9ias/9ias-snap2.png
> http://www.prosa.com/~fabio/9ias/9ias-snap3.png
>
> (Sorry for the italian).
>
> Logs are not useful, though. The directory D:\ora9ias\9ias\reports\logs
> does not contain any relevant data, only two empty *.trc files and a
> rep_bobo.log file (yes, it's right and created at the first start of
> rwserver) containing "Reports Server starting" and the last (second)
> line "Reports Server stopping" (it's a minimal translation from the
> italian, the meaning is just this).
>
> P.S.: Oracle9iAS is DESPERATELY SLOW! I'm running it on a Windows 2000
> Professional workstation with 640M RAM and a P4 1.80GHz CPU and it takes
> about 5/10 minutes only to open a new page under the Enterprise Manager.
>
> It also eats about 1.10GB of allocated memory, is it a joke? I know
> there are a lot of services started, but I think 1.10GB would be enough
> for *starting* any application!
>
> The shared memory is about 2GB on this machine.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> Fabio

[Quoted] Even though you do not explicitly state which version of 9iAS, it appear to me that you are using R2.

[Quoted] I've installed 9iAS R2 on Solaris boxes. The command line to start a Reports Server is rwserver server=repserver
At least on Solaris the DISPLAY environmental variable needs to be set & pointing towards a functioning X-Windows server.

[Quoted] Also to AVOID many bugs you need to install the CORE patchset plus Patchset #1 for Forms & Reports.

HTH & YMMV HAND! Received on Tue Feb 18 2003 - 01:52:29 CET

Original text of this message