[Oracle9iAS] Can't start Reports Server

From: Fabio Corazza <corazza_at_prosa.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 16:17:21 +0100

[Quoted] [Quoted] All we need is to use Reports Server to create reports to print in PDF format. An Oracle consultant told us to use Oracle9iAS, that will solve all our problems.

Since the Linux Installer (UI) of 9.0.2.1 is simply broken (not only for common issues like genclntsh but for the fact that assistants fail a lot of steps during final configuration) we came back to Windows 2000 SP2.

This time the installation gone fine, but again we can't start reports server. Why? Who knows. I only see that all services for Infrastructure instance can be started regularly except OID server. Don't know exactly if it has something to do with Reports Server.

Anyway, on the other instance (that one hosting Business Intelligence and Forms) the only service I can't start is Report Server (as said) and other related tools like Portal and Discoverer.

I've also captured some screenshot from the Oracle Enterprise Manager, they may be useful:

http://www.prosa.com/~fabio/9ias/9ias-snap1.png
http://www.prosa.com/~fabio/9ias/9ias-snap2.png
http://www.prosa.com/~fabio/9ias/9ias-snap3.png

(Sorry for the italian).

Logs are not useful, though. The directory D:\ora9ias\9ias\reports\logs does not contain any relevant data, only two empty *.trc files and a rep_bobo.log file (yes, it's right and created at the first start of rwserver) containing "Reports Server starting" and the last (second) line "Reports Server stopping" (it's a minimal translation from the italian, the meaning is just this).

P.S.: Oracle9iAS is DESPERATELY SLOW! I'm running it on a Windows 2000 Professional workstation with 640M RAM and a P4 1.80GHz CPU and it takes about 5/10 minutes only to open a new page under the Enterprise Manager.

It also eats about 1.10GB of allocated memory, is it a joke? I know there are a lot of services started, but I think 1.10GB would be enough for *starting* any application!

The shared memory is about 2GB on this machine.

Thanks in advance,

Fabio Received on Mon Feb 17 2003 - 16:17:21 CET

Original text of this message