Re: Oracle 10.8 vs. 11i: The Good, Bad, Ugly and Unknown

From: adurbin <adurbin_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 16:50:29 GMT

Last Memorial Day weekend, I did a conversion from 10.7 to 11.5.5 on NT. This conversion included updating the database from 7.3 to 8.1.7. The actual conversion went without a hitch. It took about another 10 days to apply various patches and load the help files. There are a few problems still outstanding to research and solve. However, none of these problems are showstoppers from the user's point of view. I am running GL, AP, FA, and Alerts.

Was the conversion easy? Of course not - it took me about 6 months and three full dry runs to shake out the problems and learn what the heck I was doing. I am not a Financials guru, just a lonely part-time dba. I would categorize the problems into three main areas: actual glitches in to upgrade process, questionable support from Oracle at times, and the documentation that is overwelming at times. Actually, I would add a 4th category - the times I shot myself in the foot during the dry-runs. An outside consultant was used for approximately 40 hours: to assist in converting some custom reports and to assist in the babysitting during conversion weekend.

OK - now that you know someone has successfully done the upgrade on NT to 11i, can you give some idea of where you are in the process and some specifics so we can go to work to lend some assistance.

The ONLY situation where I would recommend staying at the older 10.8 version, is if you have no support from the users for testing.

"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3D177DB2.EED2DF74_at_exesolutions.com...
> george lewycky wrote:
>
> > We are currently battling Oracle and 11i under NT and I have suggested
> > we revert back to 10.8 and I would like to hear from others in the field
> > about this version.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me the good, bad and the ugly of the previous major
release
> > and about the trials and tribulations with functions such as Customer
Interfaces
> > and installation.
> >
> > Has ANYONE had any success with the installation, interfaces of 11i ??
> >
> > Thanks in Advance
> >
> > George Lewycky
> > NY City Transit Authority
> > Brooklyn, NYC
> > gelewyc_at_nyct.com
>
> Just about everyone I know is using 11i.
>
> And reverting back to a version that is so old I presume it is no longer
supported
> doesn't sound like a good solution.
>
> Other than using the word "battling" you don't give even a hint as to what
is
> actually wrong. The questions I have could fill a small book and include:
>
> 1. What version of the database on what platform and operating system?
> 2. Which Oracle11i application(s)?
> 3. What consultants with previous experience have you retained and have
failed?

> Oracle applications are not a do-it-yourself project like installing MS
Office.