Re: JDeveloper rant...

From: Watchman <dmalone_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:22:09 GMT

Thank you Niall. You are quite right. I missed the Collaboration tab when I initially joined and missed all the chestnuts to be found there. I like you don't believe in getting something for nothing. Here is what I do think though. It should not cost programmers hard dollars to learn how to use a tool. The obvious problem of cobbling freeloaders is to provide products with "single user" and "single connection" capabilities. As for tech support, I think it would be reasonable for oracle to do as Microsoft does; allow the public to buy a package of support on a per query basis or time-and-materials so specific problems can be overcome in a cost-effective manner. People with run-the-business systems obviously need a higher level of service and need to pay accordingly. As a 17 year NSK man and 13 year consultant, I am well aware of the notion that "nobody rides for free" and I certainly don't work for free either.

That being said, there is still the problem that the JDeveloper community has no direct access to the problem database or the development group to solve the really tough problems in a timely manner - other than ponying up big bucks. If I only encounter 3 problems over the course of learning what I have set for myself in this endeavour and paying for everything out of my own pocket, would it be cost-effective for me to pony up thousands for support? That begs the question "Why not just pony up the same thousands for WebSphere or Forte and get the free support for a year included with these tools?"

[Quoted] If Oracle has set a goal of getting the world to embrace JDeveloper because [Quoted] it is free, they need to go just a little farther to make the proposition workable, don't you agree?