Complicated page numbering requirement for Oracle Reports

From: Jeraden <jeraden_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 Jun 2002 11:28:36 -0700

I have a fairly complicated page numbering requirement I need to implement on a couple of reports, and have been unable to think of a way to actually do it. Here is what they want - This report prints data for various groups of people. They want the list of data (on 1 page or spanning multiple pages) followed by a total page for that group on a page by itself. They will be printing these on printers that print on the fronts/backs of pages, so they do not want the start of a new group to ever start on the back of a page (so they can split them up and hand them out to the different units and not have to worry about 1 page having 1 group on the front and another group on the back). Example:
Page1:  Group A data  (front of page)
Page2:  Group A Total (back of page)
Page3:  Group B data  (front of page)
Page4:  Group B data  (back of page)
Page5:  Group B Total (front of page)
Page6:  BLANK         (back of page)
Page7:  Group C data  (front of page)

etc, etc...

I actually got this working up till now. However, they just informed me of some new information. The blank pages should be COMPLETELY blank - I was still printing the margin information and page numbers on it. They want nothing to print, and most importantly, they don't even want a page number to be used by the blank page. So now I'm totally stumped.

The above example would end up:

Page1,Page2
Page3,Page4
Page5,BLANK
Page6,Page7

etc...

I need to somehow suppress all the margin information when the page is blank, and also bypass the page number. Unfortunately, I was using the page number in my logic of when to print the blank page. I was doing the page skip by just inserting a text-space at the bottom of the Total page with a page-break-before/after property to TRUE with a format trigger that returned FALSE if it was an even page, and TRUE if it was an odd page.

I tried embedding a page break into the body, but it will still print the margin information and increment the page number when I do that. Anyone have any ideas about how to accomplish this?

Thanks! Received on Wed Jun 19 2002 - 20:28:36 CEST

Original text of this message