Re: find a 80% text match

From: Frank <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 21:42:55 +0200

Ryan wrote:

> you have to create a soundex algorithm. These are pretty complex(Ive never
> made one).
> Soundex is similiar to 'sounds like'. Its an ANSI SQL function. You will
> want to check the documentation on OTN for the basics and then do a search
> on the web for 'hopefully' some code that you can use.
>
> If you find some... could you please email it to me.. could be useful down
> the line. :)
>
> "philippe mercier" <pmercier_at_telelingua.com> wrote in message
>

>>Hi
>>
>>I have a database with tables that contain sentences.
>>
>>if I have for example a record with the text "the house is white" in a
>>table
>>
>>I want to know if i can locate this record by typing for example "the
>>house is blue" ? if yes, how.
>>
>>So in fact, I want the system to look for records that match 80% of my
>>words (or another percentage).
>>
>>I could also type "the appartment is white" and I want the system to
>>find "the house is white" record since there is only one word
>>difference. Or "the appartment is blue" should also find and tell me
>>that there is a 60% match for example...
>>
>>can this be done with oracle, how?
>>
>>thanks
>>philippe

It's called Oracle Text (or Context option - depending on the version).
You could even get a 100% hit on the white appartment by setting up a synonym list, that declares house == appartment

Syntax would be:
  where contains (field_name, 'string') > (fraction) or something similar - check out
http://otn.oracle.com/products/text/content.html

Grtz, Frank Received on Wed Jun 19 2002 - 21:42:55 CEST

Original text of this message