Re: Complicated page numbering requirement for Oracle Reports

From: Herbert Fukerider <herbert.fukerider_at_rfn.de>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:19:40 +0200

Jeraden wrote:
I have a fairly complicated page numbering requirement I need to
implement on a couple of reports, and have been unable to think of a
way to actually do it.  Here is what they want - This report prints
data for various groups of people.  They want the list of data (on 1
page or spanning multiple pages) followed by a total page for that
group on a page by itself.  They will be printing these on printers
that print on the fronts/backs of pages, so they do not want the start
of a new group to ever start on the back of a page (so they can split
them up and hand them out to the different units and not have to worry
about 1 page having 1 group on the front and another group on the
back).  Example:

Page1:  Group A data  (front of page)
Page2:  Group A Total (back of page)
Page3:  Group B data  (front of page)
Page4:  Group B data  (back of page)
Page5:  Group B Total (front of page)
Page6:  BLANK         (back of page)
Page7:  Group C data  (front of page)
etc, etc...

I actually got this working up till now.  However, they just informed
me of some new information.  The blank pages should be COMPLETELY
blank - I was still printing the margin information and page numbers
on it.  They want nothing to print, and most importantly, they don't
even want a page number to be used by the blank page.  So now I'm
totally stumped.

The above example would end up:
Page1,Page2
Page3,Page4
Page5,BLANK
Page6,Page7
etc...

I need to somehow suppress all the margin information when the page is
blank, and also bypass the page number.  Unfortunately, I was using
the page number in my logic of when to print the blank page.  I was
doing the page skip by just inserting a text-space at the bottom of
the Total page with a page-break-before/after property to TRUE with a
format trigger that returned FALSE if it was an even page, and TRUE if
it was an odd page.

I tried embedding a page break into the body, but it will still print
the margin information and increment the page number when I do that.
Anyone have any ideas about how to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Hello,
if you are using reports6i you can do this:
1) hiding margin information can be done with conditional formatting, or you can print in white color.
2) you can setup your own page numbering like
  :my_pgnum := &pagenumber - :my_blank_pg_counter;
  :my_totpgs := &totalpages - my_blank_pg_counter;

--
  _/  _/_/_/ Herbert Fukerider Architekt BDA
 _/_/_/_/    Landgrabenstr. 52 90443 Nuernberg