Re: can't create a first database! cant attach to shared memory

From: Bill Thorsteinson <billthor_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 19:58:11 -0400

On Tue, 09 Apr 2002 21:53:31 +0200, Matthias Leonhardt <i7lema_at_rz.uni-jena.de> wrote:

>Hi Dorian,
>

>>>the dbassist created a script to install a first database
>>>but it fails with executing the line
>>>
>>>SVRMGR> startup nomount pfile =
>>>"/opt/oracle/admin/oracledb/pfile/initoracledb.ora"
>>>ORA-27123: unable to attach to shared memory segment
>>>Linux Error: 13: Permission denied
>
>As I wrote in the mail the above command is executed by the script
>created by the dbassist. I also executed the command manually and got
>this error. If I execute the process I get lots of error-messages
>because oracle is not running (it can only be running if the
>startup-command had exececuted successfully)

Do you have enough shared memory for the database. Oracle puts all its memory structures in share memory. If you have other instances running there may not be enough shared memory for the database to start. Check technet.oracle.com for instructions specific to your system.

Never set up you databases so the total shared memory for all instances exceeds your physical memory. Save some physical memory for other tasks on the system. As soon as you start swapping Oracle performance will dive.