Re: Getting Ora 12203 when connecting from Discoverer

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 23:25:30 +0100

[Quoted] On 26 Dec 2001 13:10:37 -0800, anil.chada_at_oracle.com (anil chada) wrote:

>Hi --
>
> I installed Oracle 8.1.6 in OraHome816 (c:\oracle\ora816) oracle
>home, and
> i installed Oracle discoverer administration edition 4.1.37 in
>ora_disc(c:\oracle\discoverer) oracle home
>
> Now i am able to connect the database from the SQL*PLUS installed in
>OraHome816 oracle home, but i am unable connect to the database
> from discoverer.
>
> TO fix this...
>
> I got rid of sqlnet.ora tnsnames.ora files located under
>%Ora_disc/net80/admin directory and set the TNS_ADMIN value for
>ora_disc oracle
> home as c:\oracle\ora816\network\admin.
>
> Now discover is pointing to the tnsnames.ora file in oraHome816
>oracle home, but still i am unable to connect to oracle from
>discoverer.
>
> I am pretty sure it is looking at %orahome816/network/admin when i
>try to connect, because when i set the trace parameters in sqlnet.ora
>file
> it was able to read the parameters and produce an trace file.
>
> I went through the trace file and i found one interesting message
>saying "PROTOCOL.ORA is not found". I checked all the oracle homes,
>but
> i did not see PROTOCOL.ORA file.
>
> Can any one suggest me, how i can fix this problem.
>
>Thanks
>Anil Chada

Did you look up 12203 in the Server Messages (or use http://tahiti.oracle.com)
It would have told you the message meant the client can't reach the destination.
So the first thing to try is whether you can reach the server at all with an ordinary dos ping. Of course you should use the dns name/ip address provided in tnsnames.ora
If the host definition in listener.ora differs from the definition in tnsnames.ora that is another source of error. A question of course if whether you ever configured listener.ora and tnsnames.ora at all. An ordinary sql*plus session doesn't use them, other products do, or you must have configured either the IPC or the BEQueath protocol.
The error message regarding protocol.ora is completely irrelevant to your problem, as protocol.ora is unnecessary for basic connectivity.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed Dec 26 2001 - 23:25:30 CET

Original text of this message