Re: Java vs PLSQL

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:57:35 GMT

Relatively simple answer that has been stock answer from Oracle for quite a while now:

  • If more than 50% of the 'problem' is trying to do something relative to the database, use PL/.SQL
  • If more than 50% of the 'problem' is relative to the web (or non-DB) use Java or JSP.

In general, PL/SQL will be faster at interacting with the database. Java does have a nice way of representing business solutions in a maintainable way. JSP are excellent at what they do - server 'pages' using Java.

So, if the complexity of you solution requires a lot of database look ups or manipulation, use PL/SQL.

Don't restrict yourself - Oracle does allow the two to be mixed through appropriate calls. (This is called partitioning the problem <g>)

HTH
/Hans