Re: Java vs PLSQL

From: Chris Weiss <weisschr_at_tcimet.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:54:20 GMT

Web sites with the best performance always abstract the generation of HTML away from the db, using middleware to do the rendering work:

           Access Engine
[db] -> Perl dbd/dbi -> Mod_Perl                             -> XML/HTML
       -> Odbc           -> ASP
       -> PHP
       -> Tuxedo       -> Just about anything
       -> etc.

Application partitioning allows software to do what it does best. PL/SQL is only good for moving data in and out of the db. Anything else is like trying to get a pig to sing - wastes your time and annoys the pig (slows your system).

Chris Weiss