Re: ORA-12703...how to fix?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 23:26:55 +0200

"Matt B." <mcb_at_gers.com> wrote in message news:e3af76e6.0107161313.4a29b930_at_posting.google.com...
> We have a form that is giving this error when we commit:
>
> ORA-12703
>
> 12703, 00000, "this character set conversion is not supported"
> // *Cause: The requested conversion between two character sets in the
> CONVERT
> // function is not implemented
> // *Action:
>
> I sort of get the general gist of it and what it means but it doesn't
> make sense to us that it's happening in a form - we aren't calling the
> CONVERT function at all. The problem only happens when the form is
> generated and run on our box - doesn't happen on our DG/UX box. Form
> is developed on the client side and we FTP the file over to UNIX and
> generate/run it on the server side in character mode.
>
> From the limited information that the forms online help has on this,
> it sounds like it's related to server-side generation and runtime
> environment settings and not client-side development environment -
> yes? no? Other than that we don't know quite where to start looking.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

Yeah, and you don't provide much clues, do you?

- No version
- No platform
- No info about charactersets being involved

Characterset conversion will only succeed with exact super and subsets.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Mon Jul 16 2001 - 23:26:55 CEST

Original text of this message