Re: ORA-12703...how to fix?

From: Matt B. <mcb_at_gers.com>
Date: 17 Jul 2001 15:56:55 -0700

mcb_at_gers.com (Matt B.) wrote in message news:<e3af76e6.0107161313.4a29b930_at_posting.google.com>...
> We have a form that is giving this error when we commit:
>
> ORA-12703
>
> 12703, 00000, "this character set conversion is not supported"
> // *Cause: The requested conversion between two character sets in the
> CONVERT
> // function is not implemented
> // *Action:

Problem solved, although the error message given doesn't make a lot of sense to me - doesn't seem representive of the problem.

What we found was this:

Error was in KEY-COMMIT when the PL/SQL code was calling a database packaged procedure. One of the procedure's parameters was typed to a table/column (e.g.: GM_TKT.SRC_NUM%TYPE). In database A it was a NUMBER(5) in the table. In database B is was a VARCHAR2(6). Form was built against database A but was run against database B and the error would happen. When we changed database B's GM_TKT table's SRC_NUM column to NUMBER(5) like it should have been, the error went away.

What I really would have expected was not a ORA-12703 error, but instead a ORA-06508 (cannot find PL/SQL program unit) since the signature of the package the form was calling was different.

We attempted duplicating the problem on database A by changing the table's column to VARCHAR2(6) from NUMBER(5) but instead of the ORA-06508 error, we inexplicably got a (can't remember the number) "deadlock detected while trying to lock object" and sort of gave up at that point.

Still can't understand why the ORA-12703 happened, especially since both databases had userenv('LANGUAGE') set to 'AMERICAN_AMERICA.US7ASCII'. The only other thing I noticed that was different was on database B where the ORA-12703 happened had package code that was wrapped and on database A it wasn't wrapped. Not sure if Oracle implicitly executes its own CONVERT function in that case and somehow that was causing our ORA-12703 to come up...?

Thanks to those who responded w/useful hints.

-Matt Received on Wed Jul 18 2001 - 00:56:55 CEST

Original text of this message