Re: Is the export file of Oracle 8.1.6 portable between Unix/Linux platform?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 19:07:41 +0200

[Quoted] Very sorry to say so, but this statement is inaccurate and depending on how [Quoted] you read it *incorrect*

In some cases, with running special scripts supplied by
> oracle in /admin directory, it is possible to export from 8.x version to
 7.x
> version.

[Quoted] It is *NOT* possible, not by *ANY* means to import a v8 dump in a v7 database. It is possible to *create a v7 export* from a v8 database. This is something completely different.
[Quoted] As the correct procedure has been posted many times in this group, I won't repeat it here. I would refer anyone including the two original posters to www.google.com to read them.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

"Keshava M P" <keshava_at_crosswinds.net> wrote in message news:3ad87d2c_2_at_excalibur.gbmtech.net...
> Hi,
> Export is the best option. It works from platform to platform and from
 lower
> to higher version. In some cases, with running special scripts supplied by
> oracle in /admin directory, it is possible to export from 8.x version to
 7.x
> version.
>
> "Huy Vu" <huyv_at_usa.net> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We have Oracle 8.1.6 database server on Unixware 7.1.1.
> > We want to export one schema of this database and bring this export file
> > import to other Oracle 8.1.6 databases on different Unix/Linux plaforms
 as
> > Sun Solaris 7 Sparc/Intel, AIX 4.3, HP-UX 10.20, SCO OpenServer 5,
 RedHat
> > 7....
> >
> > I think that is the quick way to bring the data across of other
 databases
 on