Re: Oracle Tools (TOAD)

From: Glen A. Sromquist <stromqgl_at_alpac.ca>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 23:16:56 GMT

Hi!

Being still a very "junior" DBA, I like to have GUI type tools to find things in a hurry, but I still like to use the command line when I can.

I have OEM, which has a LOT of info but is also slow and clunky. I use TOAD probably the most, it's fast at finding most things that I want. I also have an eval copy of Embarcadero's DBArtisan, which I have found very useful, especially for looking at multiple databases in one session (including SQL Server). I tried Embarcaderos Rapid SQL, which is more like TOAD than DBArtisan, its nice because all your databases are at your fingertips, but I still prefer TOAD for most things.

There are so many tools out there it's confusing at times, so right now I am sticking with TOAD and OEM, OEM is a challenge to set up with all our different databases but it is very powerfull for automated reporting functions.

Another one I looked at is Spotlight on Oracle, which looks real slick but I was suffering from info overload and didn't delve in to it to deeply.

HTH Glen

"Bizman" <john_at_litax.se> wrote in message news:3aa35ffa$1_at_news.wineasy.se...
> There are many tools out there, whereas those from Quest are very good.
 But
> have a look att the products from Savant and Precise. They are expensive
 as
> well, but impresive! http://www.savant.com and http://www.precise.com
>
> /John
>
> "Andrew Werber" <aweber1_at_nycap.rr.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > Recently I've been using a trial version of TOAD from Quest software. It
> > seems like a very nice product. I'd like to know what other products are
 out
> > there like TOAD. It gives you a nice graphical interface to look at all
> > Oracle objects, and the PL/SQL or SQL used to create those objects
 (where
> > relevant). It shows execution times of SQL statements. Has a SQL tuner,
 is
> > supposed to integrate with Microsoft Source Safe (that's useful for me),
 has
> > a step through debugger of PL/SQL procedures and many other features.
 Any
> > opinions would be helpful. Our DBA seems reticent about buying it
 because
 of