Re: SQL*Loader variable to store temporary data ?

From: Matthew Fuller <matthewlf_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:04:22 GMT

In article <un9o6todu5cjamaot7sjsaosm9pv9scu1j_at_4ax.com>,   Robert Schöller <schoeller_at_inat.at> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:50:34 +0100, "Philippe Makowski"
> <makowski.philippe_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> >Is there a way to store temporary data whith SQL*Loader ?
> >
> >I mean, I read the first line in wich I extract somme data that I
 store in a
> >variable to use it later when I do the Append after reading
> >a other line.
>
> No. I don't think that you can do it within the SQL-Loader.
>
> I use the SQL-Loader to simply load into a (temporary) table (only
> varchar2) and use a batch to process the data (also type-conversions).
>
> mfg
>
> Ing. Robert Schöller (schoeller_at_inat.at)

I agree with Robert's comments here. I attempted to find a way to do this about a year ago. Went through lots of posts on this forum and white papers in OTN. Basically came to the conclusion that it is impossible. On that project I ended up doing the same thing Robert suggests--load data into temporary tables and then use PL/SQL, SQLJ, <whatever> to actually manipulate it into real data.

Matt.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Tue Jan 23 2001 - 14:04:22 CET

Original text of this message