To-Date Calculations

From: C Briney <cbriney_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 12:07:26 -0600

What solution would you recommend to support to-date calculations using an Oracle 8i Data Server? For example, order amount is captured weekly and a report needs to also show month-to-date and year-to-date order amount totals.

The solution I have chosen is to use a view on top of a view where the fact table with the weekly order amounts is joined to a time dimension table. I was told by the developers that there is no built-in feature/function in Oracle Reports and Oracle Discoverer to help with this. Therefore, views were used because it simplified access for Oracle Reports and Oracle Discoverer, plus a special table did not have to be built with precalculated values.

Can Oracle Reports or Oracle Discoverer handle to-date calculations without creating special views (or tables)? Received on Fri Oct 06 2000 - 20:07:26 CEST

Original text of this message