Re: stupid sqlplus problem: compute both avg and sum

From: <billmil_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 15:46:23 GMT

Dan,

[Quoted] [Quoted] Thanks for the suggestion. It makes sense, but unfortunately I haven't gotten it or a variant to work.
> compute sum nbr_logins on report avg nbr_logins on report

[Quoted] Also, per your comment on the exact syntax, the syntax of COMPUTE, from [Quoted] the SQLPlus reference, doesn't mention any "loop"--i.e. the ability to [Quoted] specify more function:

COMP[UTE] [function LAB[EL] text ]

   of {expr|column|alias}
   on {expr|column|alias|REPORT|ROW}

any other suggestions?

bill milbratz

In article <20000827110635.02963.00000278_at_ng-mg1.aol.com>,   danhw_at_aol.com (DanHW) wrote:
> >How can I compute, using SQLPLUS, both the *sum* and the *average*
 of a
> >column?
> >
> >This seems like pretty basic functionality, but I found:
> >1) I couldn't get both sums and averages to work on a column
> >2) the sqlplus manual says "if multiple COMPUTE commands reference
 the
> >same column in the ON clause, only the last COMPUTE command applies."
> >
> >For the record, I tried:
> > compute sum label Total of nbr_logins on report
> > compute avg label Avg of nbr_logins avg_min_on_site
> >total_min_on_site on report
> >
> >SQLPLUS would average the "nbr_logins" field, but not summarize it.
> >
> >How can I get past this limitation?
> >
> >thanks,
> >
> >bill milbratz
> >chicago IL usa
> >
> Only the last STATEMENT is applied, but the stament can have multiple
> commands. Try
>
> compute sum nbr_logins on report avg nbr_logins on report
>
> (you will need to look it up for the precise format)
>
> HTH
> Dan Hekimian-Williams

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Aug 28 2000 - 17:46:23 CEST

Original text of this message