Re: Getting 'No changes to Save' After Commit in Forms?

From: DanHW <danhw_at_aol.com>
Date: 24 Aug 2000 23:06:51 GMT

>I have developed a form to insert info into a table...it is inserting the
>data into the table just fine (when I do a select in SQLPlus, all data is
>there), with a procedure that selects from a table, then inserts this data,
>along with data that the user has entered, into another table.
>Unfortunately, it seems, after the commit in the procedure, Oracle tries to
>do another save, and I end up getting the error 'FRM-40401 - No changes to
>save.' Also, if I include an error checking statement in the form
>(:ERR_MSG_DISPLAY := SQLCODE), it not only gives me the error above, but
>then goes further, and gives the generic message 'Unable to INSERT'....
>
>I hope this is clear, and that someone could tell me how to get rid of
>whatever Oracle is doing in the background to cause these messages. I had
>asked an instructor about this previously, in a Developer class, and his
>answer was 'Don't worry about that message.' If I had only known the
>problems this would cause!!!
>
>Thanks so much in advance - I am at my wits end!
>
>Amanda

The problem is that your procedure does a commit. When it is Forms turn to commit, there is nothing left to commit.

The solution...
One is to remove the COMMIT from your insert operation (is it on the on-insert trigger?). When the on-insert code is finished, a commit will be performed as part of the process.

Another possibility is to put some code in the on-commit trigger. Then, when forms would do a commit, it would do the code in the on-commit trigger, which is nothing, and go on. [I haven't tried this method though]

Dan Hekimian-Williams Received on Fri Aug 25 2000 - 01:06:51 CEST

Original text of this message